Friday, July 3, 2009

Hung Up On The Hangover

My Twitter friend Megan (@undomesticdiva) had been going on and on and on on Twitter about how much she lurved the movie The Hangover. So I decided to test her love for me and asked her to write a review for me. I totally agree with her.


I’ve never paid to see the same movie twice while it’s still in the theater. I’ve seen The Hangover twice and have accepted an invitation to go a third time. If this movie does not win ‘Best Picture’ at this year’s Oscars, I swear to god, I am packing up my shit and leaving California for… Vegas. Specifically, Caesar’s Palace. Not the Caesar’s Palace Caesar lived in though. The Vegas one.



If you haven’t seen The Hangover a) you and I aren’t friends and b) you’re probably rolling your eyes because you’re sick of hearing all the ‘hype’. I get it. How could a comedy create such a frenzy in Facebook status updates, on Twitter and in workplace conversations? After all, the general rule for over-hyped movies is that the more people talk about goddamn funny! and fantastic! and super awesome! they are, the more they suck. Against all odds, The Hangover defies these stereotypes and not only lives up to the hype but is guaranteed to greatly exceed your oh-my-fucking-god expectations with a healthy dose of cathartic laughter.

And that’s just the movie’s credits.

The Hangover starts in such a way that makes you think you’ve just paid to watch another 90 minute movie of bachelor-party-gone-wild-in-Vegas – and you have – but with a twist. Rather than watching the chronological order of idiotic drunkenness gone very wrong, the foursome awake the next morning to find they remember absolutely nothing from the night before. This might not be a big deal if a) there weren’t a tiger in their bathroom, b) one of them weren’t missing a tooth and, c) the groom is nowhere to be found.

The hilarity is not only in the plot which includes finding a baby, testing a taser gun, a supposed Vegas wedding no one can recall and a seemingly impossible search to find the groom before the wedding, but in the lesser known cast itself: Bradley Cooper, Ed Helms, Zach Galifianakis and Justin Bartha, not to mention Mike Tyson’s small role. (I’ve always been a big fan of the Ben Stiller, Will Ferrell, Vince Vaughan movies, but guys, you’ve been put on notice. There just may be a new brat pack taking over the comedy scene.)

Of all the things one can take away from this movie (such as what not to do in Vegas – like roofies, for example), the most valuable will be the one-liners you will no doubt be repeating for months to come.

Bottom line, ante up for this hilarious comedy of Vegas gone so wrong you’re going to want to schedule a trip of your own to Vegas as soon as you get home from the theater. Just remember: “What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas. Except herpes. That shit will come back with you.”
- -

I give this 5 shots of Patron



Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great review!

Saw it last night & I want to go back again too!

Anonymous said...

This is the type of review you will never see in a newspaper but that is what makes it so awesome now I need to get my ass off the couch and go see it

a li'l bit squishy said...

OMG! I am not even a Will Ferrell, Adam Sandler or Ben Stiller fan, typically I avoid those low brow humour movies. But The Hangover? Best comedy ever. It rates a twelve on the Dumb and Dumber scale. It draws you in with it's sweet and identifible characters and then keeps you in stitches for the whole movie. I'm going to see it again and then probably again!

EZ Travel said...

I laughed right out loud, over and over again. It was the funniest thing I have seen in a long, long time.

Post a Comment

 
ss_blog_claim=9278e5fdce5be2a75ae2216c93b6a1b1