Saturday, July 11, 2009

I Love You Beth Cooper


Against the better judgement of some critics and some Twitter friends I decided to go to the movies today.
I had a free coupon and with a convention starting this week, and my trip coming up next week, I don't think I will have time for movies for a while (bummer cuz I really like going to the movies).

The only thing playing at my theater that I haven't seen or had a modicum of interest in seeing was Beth Cooper. The critics hated it, but meh, what do they know? I rarely agree with "professional critics" anyways.

Once again that proved true. First of all it is directed by Chris Columbus. He directed the first Harry Potter film and I have enjoyed others of his as well. The lead male actor, Paul Rust, is a nobody, and unfortunately will probably stay that way. He doesn't have the debonair good looks or even the acting chops to make it much past this movie. His quirky side kick, Jack Carpenter, however? I can see him doing many more movies in his future. The lead female is Hayden Panettiere of TV's Heroes. Having never watched Heroes, I had nothing to compare her to, and in this she was very good. She held her own when the comedic parts needed her to and did well when needing to be serious and dramatic.

It is graduation day and if Denis doesn't profess his "love for Beth" then he will live to regret it. The way the rest of the night plays out, you start to think he may regret it anyways.

It is quirky and sappy and full of silly teenager humor. But that is exactly what it is, a silly teenager movie. If you go into this film thinking it is going to be cinematic greatness then you will be sadly disappointed. But if you go in looking for a good time and some primo air conditioning? Then you are in for a treat.
Three solid Diet Cokes.



Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wanted to see this, but of course Life got in the way, and now I have to wait until it comes out on video!! Thanks for the review!! Hope you are doing ok!

Post a Comment

 
ss_blog_claim=9278e5fdce5be2a75ae2216c93b6a1b1