Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Bruno


Remember the In Living Color skit Men on Film and the two uber gay guys that did movie reivews and when they didn't like something they would say "Hated It!"?

Yep, that is how I felt about this movie. Actually how I honestly felt after the first 5 minutes was completely HORRIFIED! Had I driven my own car I would have left.


I received screening tickets to see the movie before wide release (and look at me getting the review to you before then as well! yay me!) at the fancy Arclight Theater in Hollywood. I gathered Marisa and Chris and my Twitter friend Tracy and off we went.


Once you get past the first five minutes of extremely uneccessary flagrant flaunting of body parts (male body parts), there are some actually funny parts. And guess what? Yep, it is a love story at heart. Boy meets boy, boy brushes off boy, boy and boy have - well I wouldn't want to give away the ending.


My problem with this film is that Sasha Baron Cohen is a good nee very good actor. He could do so much more with his skill than these flagrantly inappropriate characters. But as Marisa (who also hated it) astutely pointed out to me on the ride home, why should he? This is working for him. And she is right. The theater was full and the laughter was nothing short of raucous. I would like to think it was only the men but really it was a mixed bag of laughter.


I will admit to laughing, often, but the bad parts colored it bad for me.


1 Diet Coke may be 1 too many.
As a special treat for your viewing pleasure:


Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
ss_blog_claim=9278e5fdce5be2a75ae2216c93b6a1b1